Headaches – one of the most frequent complaints, with which patients come to the doctor-neurologist.
Judging according to recent epidemiological studies, it could be argued that more than 70% of the population of developed countries complain of occasional or chronic headaches. But this figure does not reflect the real state. The reason for this lies in the fact that many patients do not go to the doctor, doing self-medicate. Most of them takes over the counter analgesics. Uncontrolled use of these drugs leads to the development of dangerous side effects (gastrointestinal disorders, liver and kidney problems, allergies, and more).
Causes of Headache
Offer many different classifications of headaches. In the literature, a division of different options headache comes in four main areas.
- Headaches with organic brain diseases or disorders liquorodynamic.
- associated with head trauma (acute or chronic), which may be localized or general, difficult to treat;
- when the bulk of the brain, the head hurts usually in the morning, headache may be associated with nausea, vomiting;
- inflammatory diseases (meningitis, meningoencephalitis, and others.)
- Vascular headaches.
- migraine – a condition in which there are attacks a strong pulsating headache in one half of the head. It is also possible nausea, vomiting, light and phonophobia.
- arterial hypertension – do not occur as often as is commonly believed. Nevertheless, a common symptom when lifting blood pressure – a heavy, pressing, throbbing pain that usually bothers in the neck.
- Psychogenic headaches.
- Voltage – the most common form of headache – occurs in response to mental strain, which is the result of acute or chronic stress. This compression, tightening, squeezing, persistent pain, usually without a clear localization of weak or moderate intensity not aggravated by physical activity.
- Headaches caused by extracerebral causes
- When extracerebral infectious diseases. Infections of any origin and the location may be responsible for up to 40% of acute headaches. Any viral or bacterial infections may begin headaches, and only later can join the rest of the symptoms, such as fever, lethargy, lack of appetite and other symptoms of the disease.
- effects of drugs / chemicals. Because drugs often cause headache, oral contraceptives, nitrates (e.g., nitroglycerin), caffeine. Of the chemicals should be noted alcohol, benzene, carbon monoxide, insecticides, lead.
- associated with metabolic disorders (headaches during hypoxia, hypercapnia, dialysis, etc).
- in the pathology of the skull, neck, eyes, ears, nose, sinuses, teeth, mouth, and other structures of the face and skull.
- osteochondrosis of the cervical spine – pain, tend to have a one-sided localization in the nape area and apply to the temporo-orbital region. Headache may appear sporadically or be protracted, chronic. As a rule, the emergence of such headaches are preceded by episodes of cutaneous Surge – sleep in an uncomfortable position, prolonged physical exertion associated with a slope or re straightening head, unaccustomed exercise.
Diagnosis of headache
Any headache that there is a long period, requires examination.
Methods that can help determine the cause of pain include:
Computed tomography of the brain – gives a unique opportunity to see a space-occupying lesions in the cranial cavity, zone cerebrovascular accident (acute and chronic), abnormal development of the brain, traumatic injuries, signs of hydrocephalus.
Magnetic resonance imaging of the brain and spine has more features than computed tomography. It allows not only structure visible brain, spinal cord and, substantially aiding in the diagnosis of tumors, small and large pockets of stroke, traumatic lesions, sinusitis, intervertebral hernias, and still a number of diseases that can be the cause of headaches.
Magnetic resonance angiography – a unique new technique that allows without the introduction of contrast agents to assess the state intracranial (intracerebral) extracranial (vessels of the neck) arteries and veins, to reveal their stenotic changes, aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations.
Blood pressure monitoring – a method that reveals hidden hypertension, install features fluctuations in blood pressure during the day and adjust therapy to lower blood pressure.
Laboratory studies – can detect signs of infection, inflammation.
Inspection of the oculist – shown in almost all cases the presence of headache as possible changes in the fundus, which can be seen only optometrist using special equipment, also help to establish the true cause of the headache. In addition, the optometrist will assess the state of refraction, visual acuity, visual field.
Sometimes you may also need to consult an otolaryngologist, dentist for a special survey.
Treatment of Headache
Headache Treatment begins with identifying and eliminating the causes that causes it. In the case of long-term headache is necessary to contact the experts for examination and treatment. Only competent examination by a qualified neurologist will help to clarify the causes of headaches, diagnosis, proper treatment.
For best results in the treatment of headache is necessary to use a complex of therapeutic measures (acupuncture, magnetic therapy, laser therapy, myofascial releasing, soft techniques of manual therapy), as well as, if necessary, medication as such as Generic Depakote (Divalproex), Generic Inderal La (Propranolol), Generic Imitrex (Sumatriptan) , Generic Maxalt (Rizatriptan) and others, which you can buy online through the Internet that will cost you cheap or with good discounts.