Penis contains many nerve endings and it is very sensitive in most males. However, some men may become less responsive to sexual stimulation due to lowered sensitivity of the penile organ.
What is the Specificity of the Condition?
Men who do not have problems with erection, but suffer from decreased sensitivity of the penis, cannot get adequate pleasure during intercourse due to low sensitivity. This causes many difficulties in relationships and can also lead to irritability and a deterioration in overall well-being.
What Are Possible Causes of Decreased Penile Sensitivity?
Low sensitivity of the penis can lead to aversion to sex, because a man does not feel virtually anything or experience poor sensations, and arousal quickly disappears during sexual pleasures.
There are several causes that might lead to the condition:
- Sedentary lifestyle. Inactivity can lead to poor circulation in the pelvic organs. This can lead to unpleasant consequences, including a decrease in the sensitivity of the head of the penis.
- Circumcision. This surgical procedure can lead to a coarsening of the glans penis (due to the lack of protective foreskin). Therefore, the sensations during sex may dull a little.
- Rough influence on the penis. Too hard or frequent masturbation, improper use of a vacuum pump, rubbing the skin against rough clothing can have an overly impact on the penis. The penile organ gets used to such influences and natural sensations and non-vaginal friction seem to be insufficient to get pleasure.
- Aging. According to a study by Lawrence C. Jenkins et al. (Fertility and Sterility, 2015), aging was linked to decreased with delayed orgasm and anorgasmia (these conditions may be direct consequences of poor penile sensitiveness).
- Injuries and inflammation. Mechanical trauma (tearing of the frenum, edema of the penis) and inflammatory processes (infection leads to a decrease in the response to touch) can reduce the sensitivity of the male genital organ. Complications after surgery, such as correcting the curvature of the penis (Peyronie’s disease), can also be the cause.
- Chronic diseases. Hormonal disorders (lack or excess of adrenaline, prolactin, progesterone, TSH, as well as other hormones), as well as diseases that damage nerve endings (diabetes, neuropathy) can cause this condition.
- Testosterone deficiency. If your T levels drop, you may experience lowered responsiveness to sexual stimulation. Several conditions, aging, and damage to testicles may affect your testosterone levels.
How to Increase Penile Sensitivity?
Among the popular methods for restoring the sensitivity of the penis, sex therapists recommend massage of the genitals, the reasonable use of a vacuum pump, and physical activity to improve the blood supply to the genital area. Also, the so-called cock ring is a good device for improving the quality of sex life. Depending on the type of ring, it can be worn either around the head of the penis, or around its base (usually). The ring prolongs an erection and contributes to obtaining vivid sexual sensations. In addition, you can use warming lubricants that you can buy at the sex shop.
Erectile Dysfunction Medications and Penis Sensitivity
The most common way of treatment of erectile dysfunction treatment is taking a tablet belonging to the category of phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors (PDE5i), which covers pharmaceutical products containing such substances as sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil, and avanafil. These increase the flow of blood to the penis, which makes easier for a male to get hard when he gets sexually aroused. Examples of these medications include Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, and Spedra which can be bought both in ordinary pharmacies and online. But can these medications improve penile sensitivity? Their mechanism of action (which is actually the same for all medications from this family) does not involve influencing penile sensitivity. But when a male has a flaccid (insufficient) erection, its boosting will naturally lead to better sensitiveness, because the harder the penis, the better the sensations.