Sporanox is an azole antifungal medicine used used to treat blastomycosis, histoplasmosis and aspergillosis. Sporanox is an azole antifungal medicine which used used to treat three types of serious fungal infection: blastomycosis, histoplasmosis, and aspergillosis. Sporanox works by killing sensitive fungi by interfering with the formation of the fungal cell membrane. Some strains may be resistant: Candida glabrata, Candida krusei, Candida tropicalis, Absidia spp, Fusarium spp, Mucor spp, Rhizomucor spp, Rhizopus spp, Scedosporium proliferans, Scopulariopsis spp.
Indications for use Sporanox
Vulvovaginal candidiasis; ringworm, pityriasis versicolor, candidiasis of the mucous membrane of the mouth, keratomnkoz; onychomycosis caused by dermatophytes or yeasts; systemic mycoses – systemic aspergillosis and candidiasis, cryptococcosis (including cryptococcal meningitis) in immunokompromitirovannyh persons and cryptococcosis of the central nervous system, regardless of the immune status at treatment failure 1st line; histoplasmosis, blastomycosis, sporotrichosis, paracoccidioidomycosis; Other rare system and tropical mycoses.
Before using the medication please consult with your doctor to avoid overdose Sporanox and not cause a complication of the disease. Take it orally with or without food/milk. For the best result take it at the same time each day.
Contraindications of Sporanox
Hypersensitivity, chronic heart failure, including history (except for treatment of life-threatening conditions); concomitant use of CYP3A4 isoenzyme substrates, prolonging the interval QT (astemizole, bepridil, cisapride, dofetilide, levacetylmethadol, mizolastine, pimozide, quinidine, sertnidol, terfenadine); HMG-CoA reductase isoenzyme metabolized by CYP3A4 (lovastatin simvestatin); Simultaneous oral triazolam, and midazolam, ergot alkaloids (dihydroergotamine, ergometrine, ergotamine, metilergotamin), nisoldipine, Eletriptan; pregnancy, lactation.
Carefully. Kidney and liver failure, peripheral neuropathy, risk factors: Chronic heart failure (ischemic heart disease, damage to the heart valves, severe pulmonary disease, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, a condition accompanied by edema syndrome), hearing impairment, concomitant use of blockers slow calcium channels, children and old age.
Dosage of Sporanox
Inside. Immediately after a meal. Capsules are swallowed whole.
– With vulvovaginal candidiasis – 200 mg 2 times a day for 1 day or 200 mg 1 time per day for 3 days;
– With dermatological mycoses – 200 mg 1 time per day for 7 days or 100 mg 1 time per day for 15 days;
– Defeat of highly keratinized skin (tinea of feet and hands) -200 mg 2 times a day for 7 days or 100 mg 1 time per day for 30 days;
– With pityriasis versicolor – 200 mg 1 time a day for 7 days;
– With candidiasis of the oral mucosa – 100 mg 1 time per day for 15 days (in some cases, individuals bioavailability of itraconazol may be reduced, which sometimes requires a doubling of the dose);
– When kerato mycosis – 200 mg 1 time per day for 21 days (the duration of treatment depends on the clinical response);
– In onychomycosis – 200 mg 1 time per day for 3 months, or 200 mg two times a day for one week course;
– With the defeat of toenails (regardless of the defeat of nails on the hands) is carried out 3 courses with 3 weeks interval. With the defeat of nails on the hands only spend 2 courses with an interval of 3 weeks;
– Elimination of MFI konazol of the skin and nails, slow; optimal clinical response with ringworm achieved within 2-4 months after completion of treatment – 6-9 months;
– With systemic aspergillosis – 200 mg / day for 2-5 months; when disease progression and dissemination dose increased to 200 mg 2 times a day;
– With systemic candidiasis – 100-200 mg 1 time per day for 3 weeks – 7 months, progression and dissemination of the disease, increase the dose to 200 mg 2 times a day;
– In systemic cryptococcosis without signs of meningitis – 200 mg 1 time per day for 2-12 months. In cryptococcal meningitis – 200 mg 2 times a day for 2-12 months;
– Treatment of histoplasmosis begin with 200 mg 1 time per day, maintenance dose – 200 mg 2 times a day for 8 months;
– With blastomycosis – 100 mg 1 time per day, maintenance dose – 200 mg 2 times a day for 6 months;
– With sporotrichosis – 100 mg 1 time per day for 3 months;
– When paracoccidioidomycosis – 100 mg 1 time per day for 6 months;
– When chromomycosis -100-200 1 mg once a day for 6 months;
Side effects of Sporanox
From the gastrointestinal tract: dyspepsia (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, loss of appetite), abdominal pain.
From the hepato-biliary system: a reversible increase in “liver” enzymes, hepatitis and in very rare cases, itraconazole develop severe hepatotoxicity, including cases of acute liver failure with fatal consequences.
From the nervous system: headache, dizziness, peripheral neuropathy.
Immune system: anaphylactic, anafipaktoidnye and allergic reactions.
For the skin: very rarely – exudative erythema multiforme (Stevens-Johnson syndrome), skin rash, pruritus, urticaria, angioedema, alopecia, photosensitivity.
Other: menstrual disorders, hypokalemia, edema syndrome, chronic heart failure and pulmonary edema.