What is chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy — is the prevention and treatment of various cancers by using chemicals such as antimetabolites and similar drugs. Many tumors can not be removed by surgery or radiotherapy. Sometimes the growth of tumor cells manage to stop the special drugs. The goal of chemotherapy — defined chemical compounds, such as cytotoxic drugs, stop or suppress the growth of cancer cells, slow down their metabolism.
In what cases, is used chemotherapy ?
Chemotherapy is mainly applied when the cancer has spread (metastasized). Metastasis — is the appearance of tumors in the organs of the body remote from the place of origin of the primary cancer. Highly malignant tumors have a greater likelihood of metastasis. The primary focus of malignancy is usually removed surgically, and in its metastases affect ionizing radiation or cytotoxic drugs, sometimes combine both methods of treatment.
Chemotherapy is used in some forms of leukemia, such as acute lymphocytic leukemia, malignant testicular tumors, sarcoma and Hodgkin’s disease. In treating various types of cancer with chemotherapy fails alleviate the symptoms of cancer and prolong patient life.
What can chemotherapy?
There are many different cytostatics. Classification exerted their actions:
- Alkylating compounds. This group includes cisplatin, cyclophosphamide, melphalan and nitrogen compounds (urea). As well as ionizing radiation, this group of drugs affects nucleic acid — the genetic material of cells — and to affect cell division.
- This folic acid antagonists (methotrexate), pyrimidine antagonists (fluoruratsil) and antagonists of purine (thioguanine). Drugs in this group was removed from the cell chemicals natural metabolic products of cells (metabolites) and inhibit cell growth.
- Compounds that inhibit mitosis of cells (vinca alkaloids, taxanes). They inhibit the cell division (mitosis) and stop the growth of tumor cells.
- Inhibit cell growth and certain antibiotics. Essential drugs of this group and mitomycin doksorubomitsin.
- Growth of cells and affect a variety of enzymes, such as L-asparaginase.
How used chemotherapy?
After a thorough examination of the patient an individual treatment plan. Given the type of tumor, the stage of the disease and the patient, trying to reduce the possibility of adverse reactions, shall decide on the choice of drugs (cytostatics or hormones), their dosage and duration of treatment. Depending on the plan of treatment prescribed certain medications in pill or injection.
Side effects of chemotherapy
Cytotoxic agents are all rapidly dividing cells of the human body, ie, not only cancer cells but also on cells of the hematopoietic system, mucous membranes and germ cells. Side effects of the drug can not be avoided. Side effects — a balding, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, weakness and shortness of breath. After some time, ailments caused by drugs are. However, when high dosages of medication or other serious reactions occur, and, for example, affects the immune system of an organism, bone marrow, gastrointestinal tract, liver, heart and bladder.
The likelihood of recovery
Only in rare cases can be completely cured cancer (eg, Hodgkin’s disease and lymphocytic leukemia) only drugs. However, cytotoxic agents and hormonal drugs may enhance the effects of other treatment methods to reduce the patient’s suffering and prolong its lif (uses such as Generic Droxia (Hydroxyurea), Generic Arimidex (Anastrozole), Generic Nolvadex (Tamoxifen) and others, which you can buy online through the Internet that will cost you cheap or with good discounts);
Treatment with hormones and cytokines
The growth of some tumors stimulate the hormones produced in the body of the man himself. By using hormone replacement therapy the effects of androgens can inhibit and stop tumor growth. Used as cytokines, which are important for the activation of the immune system. Some of them, for example, interleukins and interferons, are used to treat chronic myelogenous leukemia, malignant melanoma and renal cell carcinoma.