Active Ingredient: Cyproheptadine
Pharmachologic effect Periactin:
It is an antagonist of serotonin and histamine has the ability to stimulate an appetite. Blocks H1 receptors. The impact on the receptors: serotonin receptors (antagonist). Histamine receptor (antagonist) H1 receptors (blocker).
1. Apply with allergic diseases, such as:
- acute and chronic urticaria;
- serum sickness;
- vasomotor rhinitis;
- contact dermatitis;
- allergic reactions to medications;
3. Loss of appetite by different etiology:
- neurogenic anorexia;
- chronic diseases.
Due to the fact that histamine and serotonin increase the secretion of pancreatic juice, also suggested to use Periactin in the treatment of chronic pancreatitis.
Mode of application
Side effectsÂ Periactin
- Take inside.
- Single dose for adults is 2-4 mg.
- Children aged 6 months to 2 years is used only in special cases, at a dose of 400 mg / kg / day; aged 2-6 years — 6 mg / day; 6-14 years — 12 mg / day.
- The maximum doses: for adults — 32 mg / day, for children aged 2-6 years — 8 mg / day, for children aged 6-14 years — 12 mg / day.
- The frequency of administration, and duration of treatment depends on the evidence.
Get medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop taking Periactin and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect, such as:
- confusion, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- fast or pounding heartbeats;
- easy bruising or bleeding;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- pale skin, dark colored urine, fever, or unusual weakness.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild drowsiness, dizziness, or spinning sensation;
- anxiety or excitement (especially in children);
- sleep problems (insomnia), tired feeling;
- feeling of numbness or tingly;
- increased sweating or urination;
- blurred vision;
- changes in appetite;
- dry mouth or nose, upset stomach;
- nausea, diarrhea, constipation.
Childrenâ€™s symptoms — a mydriasis and immobility of pupils, facial flushing, hyperthermia, agitation, anxiety, hallucinations, ataxia, athetosis, convulsions, collapse, coma;
Adult — confusion, depression, coma, or agitation, seizures;
Rarely — hyperthermia and flushing of the skin.
Limitations to the application:
Glaucoma (increased intraocular pressure), gastric ulcer, pregnancy, urinary retention, predisposition to edema, bronchial asthma attack, advanced age. The drug is not indicated for children under 2 years.
Apply with a caution in elderly patients and in children due to hypersensitivity to antihistamines.
During the treatment, should avoid alcohol.
Effects on ability to drive vehicles and management the mechanisms.
Tablets 4 mg; syrup in bottles of 100 ml containing 2 mg in teaspoonful (5 ml).
Store in a cool and dark place.
You can buy Periactin over the Internet. If you order this medication online, you will get a good and pleasant discount!